Monday, January 1, 2007

Poems for a New Year


Returning
Hafiz of Shiraz (Khwaja Shams ud-Din Hafiz-i Shirazi, 1326-1390)


The morning breeze comes back
and from the southern desert
the lapwing returns
The dove's soft song about roses
I hear that again.
The tulip, who understands what the lily says,
went away, but now she's back.
With the sound of a bell,
strength and gentleness.
Hafiz broke his vow and damaged his heart,
but now, for no reason, his Friend forgives that,
and turns, and walks back up to his door.

I am Like a Rose
D. H. Lawrence, 1917.

I am myself at last; now I achieve
My very self, I, with the wonder mellow,
Full of fine warmth, I issue forth in clear
And single me, perfected from my fellow.
Here I am all myself. No rose-bush heaving
Its limpid sap to culmination has brought
Itself more sheer and naked out of the green
In stark-clear roses, than I to myself am brought.

No comments: